A fudge-like coconut candy log loaded with golden raisins, nuts and toasted coconut.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup golden raisins, chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 tablespoons coconut; toasted
Additional toasted coconut for rolling
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in large, heavy saucepan, mixing well. Add cream, butter and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook to the soft ball stage (236°F / 110°C) or when soft ball forms with a small amount is drop in cold water, and flattens when removed. Remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature. Beat with a heavy wooden spoon until creamy.
- Add raisins, nuts, coconut, and vanilla. Continue beating until mixture can be handled.
- Turn onto a flat surface dusted with powdered sugar. Knead until smooth and creamy. Shape into a roll. Roll in additional toasted coconut, if desired.
- To serve, slice with a sharp knife into serving pieces. Store tightly wrapped.
Makes about 1 1/2 pounds candy.