Not only are these soft, chewy caramels delicious, they make a wonderful gift as well.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup butter or margarine
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 8-inch square pan with foil and butter; set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Allow mixture to boil slowly for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in the sweetened condensed milk.
- Return saucepan to heat and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook mixture until candy thermometer reads 238°F (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Immediately pour into prepared pan. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove cooled caramel from pan. Peel off foil and cut into 1-inch squares.
- Wrap individually in clear or colored cellophane or waxed paper, twisting the ends to seal each piece.
Makes 64 pieces.