Creamy Chocolate Caramels
These chewy chocolate-flavored caramels are a flavor-party for your mouth. Try to save some for others.
3 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 ounces baking chocolate
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine cream and condensed milk in the top of a double boiler. Heat over simmering water until warm; reduce heat to low.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Boil for 1 minute, then reduce heat.
- Slowly add cream mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring for 5 minutes after each addition to brown the sugars. Add baking chocolate. Heat to a temperature of 242°F.
- Remove from heat. Stir in walnuts and vanilla. Pour into greased 13x9x2-inch pan and allow to set before cutting.
- Wrapped in plastic, these candies will last up to 2 weeks. Store in a cool, dry place.
Makes 48 pieces.