Making homemade caramels doens't get much easier than this.
2 cups light corn syrup
1 (1-pound) box brown sugar (2 1/4 cups)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup butter
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients, except nuts, in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook to the soft ball stage (240°F | 115°C) or until a small amount dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water. Remove from heat and stir in nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and let cool at room temperature.
- Invert pan; peel off waxed paper and cut into small pieces.
- Wrap pieces individually in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store in covered container at room temperature.
Makes about 3 pounds candy.