Goober, from the African word nguba, is a Southern name for peanut. Save yourself some time around the holidays with this ultra-quick version of peanut brittle.
1 cup raw peanuts
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Combine peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 8 minutes.
- Add butter and vanilla. Stir and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir in baking soda, mixing until light and foamy.
- Spread onto a baking sheet lined with lightly buttered aluminum foil.
- Allow to cool before breaking into pieces.
Makes about 1 pound.