Don't know the 'real' story behind why
this candy is called 'millionaire candy'...but I believe it is
a Texas-take on 'turtles' a chocolate-covered caramel candy with
- 1 (14-ounce) package caramels
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk or
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 bar paraffin*
- 1 (12-ounce) package semi-sweet or
milk chocolate chips
- Butter waxed paper or foil-lined baking
sheets. Set aside.
- Melt caramels in milk over low heat, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat and add pecans. Drop by teaspoonfuls
onto prepared baking sheets. Chill.
- Melt paraffin and chocolate chips in small
saucepan over low heat. Using a wooden pick, dip hardened candy
pieces into chocolate and return to prepared baking sheet. Allow
to dry at room temperature. Store at room temperature.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen candies.
*Or substitute 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening,
if you prefer.