Never Fail Divinity
Fluffy, sweet and creamy—sounds divine! Here's an easy basic divinity recipe, a great backdrop for your own personalized variation.
Ingredients:3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts
- Grease a 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan; set aside.
- Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the syrup reaches the firm ball stage, 250° to 265°F on a candy thermometer. (A small ball of syrup, when dropped in cold water, will be firm to the touch but still able to be flattened slightly.)
- While syrup is cooking, beat egg whites with salt until stiff.
- Gradually add half the syrup to the egg whites, beating constantly.
- Return the remaining syrup to the stove until boiling again, then gradually beat into the egg whites. Stir well, beating until dry.
- Beat in vanilla and chopped nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and allow to cool. Cut into squares when firm.
Makes 16 confectons.