Chewy nougat candy squares with toasted slivered almonds.
Recipe Ingredients:4 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
4 1/4 cups light corn syrup - divided use
1/4 cup water
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/4 cup light corn syrup, and water in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil, about 5 to 7 minutes. Then cook, without stirring to the soft ball stage, about 238°F (115°C), which should take about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Beat egg whites to soft peaks and gradually pour in the syrup mixture; beat until stiff. Set aside.
- Line 2 (8-inch) baking pans with aluminum foil; extending the foil over the edges. Sprinkle with cornstarch.
- In a heavy saucepan cook 3 cups sugar and 3 cups light corn syrup and bring to a boil, about 10 minutes. Continue to cook without stirring until the mixture reaches the soft crack stage, about 272°F (135°C), about 15 minutes.
- Slowly add to the egg white mixture and mix until blended. Stir in melted butter, blanched slivered almonds, and salt.
- Pour into the prepared pan and chill until firm.
- Use the foil to lift the candy from the pan to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch squares. If the edges are too sticky, dust lightly with cornstarch.
Makes 128 (1-inch) squares.