Opera fudge got its name because the creamy chocolate confection was purchased at intermissions during an opera in the 20th century.
Recipe Ingredients:2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine sugar, milk, light corn syrup, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes; Do Not Scrape the sides of the saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter; cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Add almond extract and beat until thickened and fudge begins to lose its gloss.
- Pour into a buttered 8-inch pan.
- Cool before cutting into 1-inch squares.
Makes 64 (1-inch) squares.