A delicious brown sugar fudge loaded with crunchy pecans.
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, milk and salt in a large, heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, cover with a lid briefly to get any sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, to firm ball stage (248°F | 120°C), or until a small amount of mixture is dropped into cold water and forms a ball that holds until pressed. Remove from heat.
- Add the butter and let cool to room temperature, without stirring.
- Beat with a heavy wooden spoon until it starts to thicken; add the vanilla and pecans and continue to beat until candy loses some of its gloss.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan. When firm, invert pan; peel off waxed paper and cut into 1-inch squares, if desired. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Makes 64 (1-inch) squares.