One taste of this fudgey treat, and pumpkin will become one of your favorite flavors!
1 teaspoon butter
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk or cream
3 tablespoons pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Line an 8 x 8 x 1 1/2-inch square pan with aluminum foil, allowing the foil to hang over the edges of the pan. Grease the pan with 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Place sugar, milk, pumpkin, cornstarch and pumpkin pie spice in a saucepan and cook quickly, stirring them constantly until they boil.
- Cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uncover, reduce heat and cook until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage. (234°F / 110°C), or when a small amount dropped into chilled water forms a ball and flattens when picked up)
- Remove from heat and place in a mixing bowl.
- Cool to 110°F (45°C).
- Add vanilla and beat with mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add nuts, if desired.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. When firm, remove fudge from pan, peel away foil and cut into 1-inch squares, if desired.
Makes 64 (1-inch) squares.