Sea Salt Caramel Popcorn
A sprinkling of coarse sea salt gives this caramel corn a flavor boost.
2 quarts popped popcorn
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup almonds
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Line a 17x12x1–inch rimmed baking pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- Spray a large bowl (not plastic) with cooking spray and place popcorn and nuts inside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine granulated sugar, butter and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Clip on a candy thermometer and boil, stirring occasionally, until temperature reaches290°F (145°C), about 15 minutes.
- Remove candy thermometer and stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over popcorn and stir to coat well.
- Spread popcorn mixture in an even layer into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and allow to cool completely before breaking into pieces to serve.
- Store in an airtight container.
Makes 3 quarts; 12 (1 cup) servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.