Stained Glass Candy
For multiple flavors and colors, divide candy mixture after cooking, then flavor and color each as desired.
4 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water
1 tablespoon desired flavored extract or 1 teaspoon flavoring oil
Food color, as desired
- Line a 15 x 11-inch baking pan with foil and lightly grease or sprinkle evenly with a light coating of powdered sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium pan combine sugar and corn syrup with water and cook over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- With a brush dipped in water, wash down any crystals that form on the sides of the pan. Boil rapidly until candy thermometer registers 300°F (150°C), hard-crack stage.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in flavor extract and food color.
- Pour into prepared pan. Let cool completely.
- When hard, remove from pan. Break into pieces with kitchen mallet.
Makes 2 1/2 pounds candy.