Fudge made with mashed potatoes—and you thought leftover mashed potatoes were just for shepherd's pie and potato pancakes!
3 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes (if using leftover seasoned potatoes, omit salt)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted (optional)
- Line a 8x8x2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler. Remove from heat.
- Transfer chocolate/butter mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add potatoes, salt and vanilla. Mix well.
- On low speed of an electric mixer, using paddle attachment, blend in sugar and mix thoroughly. Add nuts and knead until smooth. Press into prepared pan.
- Cool in refrigerator before cutting into 1-inch squares, if desired.
Makes 64 (1-inch) squares.