Old-fashioned cooked vanilla fudge—every bite worth the extra effort.
3 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups light cream (half-and-half)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and cream.
- Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until a small amount of mixture forms a soft ball when dropped in very cold water (236°F / 110°C) on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and let stand until lukewarm (110°F / 45°C).
- Add salt and vanilla and beat with a wooden spoo until mixture thickens and loses its gloss.
- Pour into buttered 8x8x2-inch baking pan and let stand until firm. Cut into 1-inch squares, if desired.
Makes 64 (1-inch) squares.