Anise-Adobo Chicken Drumsticks
A delicious chicken recipe from the Washburne Culinary Institute, Chicago, IL.
8 chicken drumsticks
2 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup lite soy sauce (low-sodium)
1 cup water
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 bay leaves
2 slices star fruit
4 whole cloves
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons cilantro, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill, or preheat broiler.
- In medium bowl, combine green onions, soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, bay leaves, star fruit, cloves, sesame oil, brown sugar and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour into large, lidded pan. Place chicken drumsticks in single layer in pan. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and gently simmer chicken for 20 to 25 minutes. (Chicken can be held in the refrigerator, covered in poaching liquid) up to two days.)
- Remove drumsticks from liquid, place on preheated grill or under broiler, and cook, turning, about 6 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked throughout and skin crisp brown.
- While chicken cooks, strain poaching liquid into small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook to reduce to about 1 cup of sauce.
- Remove chicken from grill, top with Cilantro and peanuts, and serve with sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 310 calories; 15g fat; 3.5g saturated fat; 15g carbohydrate.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.