Arroz con Pollo 2
(Chicken with Rice)
This recipe for the classic arroz con pollo dish features a blend of lean chicken for protein, vitamin C-packed tomatoes and fat-free steamed rice. It is a complete meal with only 380 calories per serving and is packed with vitamins and minerals.
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup long grain white rice
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped white onion
1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced pimento stuffed green olives
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon each: chili powder and ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
1/2 cup tomato-based salsa
Chopped fresh cilantro and sliced green onions (optional)
- In large skillet, brown chicken in butter.
- Stir in rice and cook for five minutes more.
- Stir in onion, broth, wine, bell pepper, olives, seasonings, garlic and chiles; cover and cook on the simmer setting for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let stand for five minutes.
- Stir in salsa and sprinkle with cilantro and green onions, if you like.
- Corn tortillas may be warmed in the steamer basket. Place over the cooked chicken and rice and let warm during the five-minute stand time.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 380, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 80 mg, Sodium: 680 mg, Potassium: 507 mg, Carbohydrates: 40 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugar: 3 g, Protein: 32 g, Vitamin A: 20 percent, Vitamin C: 60 percent, Calcium: 6 percent, Iron: 20 percent.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of www.ritzcrackers.com; through ARAcontent.