Autumn Chicken and Squash Risotto
Creamy risotto, made with arborio rice, is a deliciously satisfying Italian 'comfort food'. This version features chunks of sautéed chicken, porcini mushrooms, hubbard and zucchini squash, green onions, dried cranberries and Parmesan cheese.
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1 cup hot water
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided use
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in bite-size pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/4 cups arborio rice
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound hubbard squash, peeled and chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Soak porcini mushrooms for about 30 minutes in hot water; drain and chop, reserving liquid.
- In a small saucepan add chicken stock and heat to simmer over medium heat; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, place 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; add onion and garlic and sauté about 5 minutes. Add rice; stir and cook 1 minute. Add wine, rehydrated mushrooms, the reserved mushroom liquid, squash, zucchini and bay leaves. Stir and bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost absorbed, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken stock, one ladle at a time, as risotto thickens, stirring constantly.
- Add salt, pepper, cooked chicken and cranberries, cooking about 10 minutes more or until rice is done. Stir in green onion and serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese and garnished with rosemary.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.