Autumn Chicken Pot Pie
A buttery, lemon-ginger pastry crust covers a filling with tender pieces of chicken, pearl onions, carrots, chunks of Granny Smith apple and dried cranberries.
1 cup all purpose-flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons cold water
1 cup pearl onions, peeled and steamed until tender
2 medium carrots, cut into slices and steamed until tender
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (leftover from roast chicken or freshly poached)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
- For Dough: In large bowl combine flour, ginger, lemon zest and salt. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of water over the mixture and toss with fork. The dough should be just barely moistened, enough to hold together when formed into a ball. Add more water if needed. Form the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- For Filling: Drop pearl onions into boiling water for 30 seconds; drain, peel. Steam pearl onions and carrots until tender.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour and ginger until smooth. Reduce heat to low and gradually whisk in chicken broth. Stir in pearl onions, carrots, apples, cranberries, lemon juice and chicken. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon filling into deep, 10-inch ceramic or glass pie dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a circle, about 12-inches in diameter. Lay the dough over the top of pie dish. Trim and crimp edges. Use a small knife to cut several slits in the center of pie. (Alternatively, make decorative cuts in pie crust before setting it on top of pie.)
- Set the pie on a baking sheet and place in oven on middle rack. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 400°F (205°C) and continue baking for additional 20 minutes, until pie bubbles around edges and top is nicely browned. Serve while piping hot.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.