Basil-Garlic Chicken Pastries
Veggie-stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in phyllo pastry and served with a basil-garlic cream sauce.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
1/2 cup plus 4 tablespoons butter - divided use
l carrot, cut in 3-inch strips
l celery stalk, cut in 3-inch strips
l small onion, cut in 8 wedges
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder - divided use
4 phyllo pastry sheets
Basil-Garlic Cream Sauce (recipe follows)
- Place chicken breast halves between sheets of waxed paper and pound to 1/4-inch thickness, using mallet or rolling pin.
- On half of each chicken breast half, place 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, 1 strip each of carrot and celery and l onion wedge.
- Mix together lemon pepper seasoning, basil leaves, ginger and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder; sprinkle over chicken. Fold other half of chicken over vegetables.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter; brush on phyllo sheets and place chicken in center of each at one end. Roll chicken, folding, to opposite end of phyllo sheet; trim excess and seal edges. Place, seam side down, on buttered baking dish; brush with remaining butter.
- Place in 350°F (175°C) oven for l hour or until brown.
- In small skillet, place remaining l tablespoon butter and remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; add remaining carrot and celery strips and onion wedges. Sauté until tender crisp and set aside.
- Place chicken on platter; ladle on warm Basil-Garlic Sauce and garnish with sautéed vegetables and parsley.
Makes 4 servings.
Basil-Garlic Cream Sauce: Melt 1/4 cup butter; add 1/2 teaspoon dried basil and l teaspoon garlic powder. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour; add 1/2 cup chicken stock, stirring until bubbly. Add l cup half-and-half, stirring. Add salt and pepper, if desired.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.