Bean Casserole and Chicken Breasts
A hearty bean and chicken casserole seasoned with carrots, onion, tomato, rosemary and thyme.
1 pound dry navy beans, soaked, rinsed and drained
2 large carrots, peeled
2 medium onions, halved
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, or 1 tablespoon fresh
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 tablespoon fresh
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
3 whole chicken breasts, skinless, about 4 1/2-pounds
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- In a large sauté pan or stock pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add beans, onion, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, partially covered, for 45 minutes. Add tomatoes.
- Add chicken breasts and cook, partially covered, 45 additional minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts and de-bone; cut into 1/2 -inch slices. Place sliced chicken back into bean/vegetable mixture.
- Remove carrots and onions with a slotted spoon, chop coarsely, and return to beans.
- Add garlic and parsley. Return heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings if needed, remove bay leaf, and serve.
Makes 8 servings
Recipe provided courtesy Michigan Bean Commisson.