Bittersweet Farm Chicken
Baked chicken with a soy, citrus and honey glaze, served with tender baby carrots seasoned with the same glaze mixture.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
l whole chicken, cut up
8 tablespoons butter - divided use
2 tablespoons julienne orange peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur
l tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 (16-ounce) package whole baby carrots, cooked
- In plastic bag, mix together flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat all sides.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In large baking pan, place 4 tablespoons of the butter and heat to melt.
- Roll chicken in butter to coat all sides and arrange, skin side down, in single layer.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- In small saucepan, place remaining 4 tablespoons butter and melt over medium heat. Stir in orange peel, lemon juice, liqueur, soy sauce and honey. Set aside 2 tablespoons mixture.
- Remove chicken from oven, turn and pour orange-honey mixture over chicken. Return to oven and bake, basting occasionally, 30 minutes longer or until chicken is glazed and fork can be inserted with ease.
- Add reserved orange-honey mixture to carrots and serve with chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.