Braised Garlic Chicken and Spinach
A hearty and economical dish of braised chicken thighs seasoned with garlic and served with carrots on a bed of spinach.
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 broiler-fryer chicken thighs, skin removed
3/4 cup diagonally cut carrots
5 garlic cloves, halved
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 cup canned no-salt chicken broth
1/2 pound fresh spinach
- In large nonstick skillet, place oil and heat to medium temperature. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 10 minutes, or until brown on all sides. Add carrots and garlic. Cover and reduce heat to low temperature. Cook, turning chicken once, about 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Remove chicken and carrots from skillet; set aside and keep warm.
- Cook garlic an additional 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper and broth; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, about 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup.
- In blender container, place broth mixture and blend about 30 seconds or until smooth; set aside.
- In large saucepan, place spinach (do not add water). Cover and cook over medium heat 3 minutes; drain well.
- Place spinach on serving platter and arrange chicken and carrots on top. Drizzle with garlic mixture.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.