Caribbean Mango Chicken
Spruce up a regular chicken breast with this island-inspired recipe. The coconut milk, lemon zest and mango combine to Jamaica you crazy, mon!
1 pound chicken breasts cut into strips
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons canola oi - divided use
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 red pepper cut into strips
1 yellow or orange pepper, cut into strips
2 stalks celery, cut on diagonal
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 large mango, cut into bite-size pieces
2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
Cooked short-grain rice for accompaniment (optional)
- Season chicken with curry powder, salt and pepper.
- In large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken until just cooked, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove to plate and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to pan. Sauté garlic and ginger along with peppers and celery. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add coconut milk, lemon zest and mango, along with chicken. Heat through. Stir in basil.
- Serve with short grain rice, if desired.
Makes 6 (1 cup) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe; 1 cup): Calories 340; Total Fat 25g; Saturated Fat 15g; Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 260mg; Carbohydrates 15g; Fiber 3g; Protein 18g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.