Caribbean Roast Chicken with Pineapple and Sweet Potatoes
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
1 whole chicken, giblets and neck removed
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoon Caribbean Jerk Seasoning spice mix
3 fresh limes
8 sprigs of cilantro
1 (20-ounce) can chunk pineapple, drained reserving 1/2 cup of liquid
3 sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
1/4 cup dark rum (or chicken stock)
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar, packed and jerk seasoning. Rub mixture all over outside of chicken. Cut one lime into quarters; insert into chicken cavity. Add cilantro sprigs to chicken cavity. Place chicken in roasting pan and surround with pineapple chunks. Place in oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, juice two remaining limes. Remove chicken from oven; add sweet potatoes, rum, chicken stock and lime juice to pan. Return to oven and roast for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until internal temperature in thickest part of the thigh reaches 180°F (82.2°C).
- Remove chicken from oven and place on sheet pan. Tent with foil to keep warm.
- Remove pineapple and sweet potatoes from pan and reserve. Pour sauce in pan into serving dish; add chopped cilantro.
- To Serve: Carve chicken or place whole chicken on platter. Surround with sweet potato/pineapple mixture and pass with sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 390; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Total Carbs: 32g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 20g; Protein: 30g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.