Cheddar Chicken with Hot Apple Salsa
Pan-fried cheddar cheese stuffed chicken breasts, encrusted with a mixture of crushed green peppercorns and walnuts, are served with a spiced apple and red bell pepper sauce.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon crushed green peppercorns
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2/3 cup diced, tart green apple
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
1 large garlic clove, minced
3/4 teaspoon minced gingerroot
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate thawed, undiluted
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons sliced green onions, green part only
Apple wedges, unpeeled
- Make a lengthwise slit in each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Divide cheese equally and fill each pocket; close with wooden picks. Gently flatten chicken and sprinkle with salt.
- In small bowl, mix walnuts and peppercorns; press mixture into both sides of chicken.
- In non-stick skillet, place oil and heat to medium temperature. Add chicken and cook about 5 minutes on each side, or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Remove chicken from skillet, discard wooden picks and keep chicken warm.
- In same skillet, add apple, red bell pepper, garlic and gingerroot. Stir-fry over medium high heat 1 minute; add sherry, apple juice concentrate, cumin and cinnamon. Cook, stirring, to reduce liquid by one-half; stir in green onion.
- Place chicken on serving platter and spoon apple mixture over chicken. Garnish with parsley and apple wedges.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.