Cherry Glazed Chicken
Recipe courtesy of the National Cherry Institute.
2 to 3 pounds chicken pieces (use split fryers, breasts, leg quarters or thighs)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (16-ounce) can unsweetened tart cherries or use fresh tart cherries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels.
- Pour milk into a shallow container.
- Combine flour, thyme, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken first in milk, then in flour mixture; coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken; brown on all sides. Put chicken in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine cherry juice, brown sugar, packed and granulated sugar in a small saucepan; mix well. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Add mustard; mix well. Cook 5 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in cherries. (Sauce will thicken more as it is baked on chicken.)
- After chicken has cooked 30 minutes, remove from oven and uncover. Spoon hot cherry mixture over chicken. Bake, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Note: 2 cups frozen unsweetened tart cherries or fresh tart cherries can be substituted for canned tart cherries; use 1/2 cup cherry juice blend or water in place of juice from canned cherries.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Cherry Institute.