Chicken and Apple Stir-Fry
A delicious chicken and apple stir-fry infused with the flavors of both Asian cookery and autumn.
6 dried mushrooms (such as shiitake or wood ear mushrooms)
12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3/4 cup cold water
3 tablespoons frozen orange, apple, or pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium green, red, orange, and/or yellow bell peppers, cut into thin strips
2 medium apples, thinly sliced
Hot cooked long grain or brown rice
- In a small bowl cover, cover mushrooms with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Rinse and squeeze the mushrooms to drain thoroughly. Discard stems. Thinly slice mushrooms. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together the cold water, juice concentrate, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, and red pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add almonds; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Remove almonds from wok. Let wok cool slightly.
- Add cooking oil to wok. Preheat over medium-high heat (add more oil if necessary during cooking). Stir-fry mushrooms, sweet peppers, and apples in hot oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until peppers and apples are crisp-tender. Remove apple mixture from wok.
- Add chicken to wok. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender and no longer pink. Push chicken from center of wok. Stir sauce; add to center of wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return apple mixture to wok. Stir all ingredients together to coat. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through.
- Stir in toasted almonds. Serve immediately with hot cooked rice.
Makes 4 servings.