Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
A delicious chicken and apple stir-fry
infused with the traditional flavors of both Asian cookery and
Chicken and Apple Stir-Fry
- 6 dried mushrooms (such as shiitake or
wood ear mushrooms)
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange, apple, or
pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium green, red, orange, and/or yellow
bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- Hot cooked long grain or brown rice
- In a small bowl cover, cover mushrooms
with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Rinse and squeeze the
mushrooms to drain thoroughly. Discard stems. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, rinse chicken; pat dry with
paper towels. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together
the cold water, juice concentrate, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger,
cinnamon, and red pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a wok or large skillet over medium-high
heat. Add almonds; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
Remove almonds from wok. Let wok cool slightly.
- Add cooking oil to wok. Preheat over medium-high
heat (add more oil if necessary during cooking). Stir-fry mushrooms,
sweet peppers, and apples in hot oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until
peppers and apples are crisp-tender. Remove apple mixture from
- Add chicken to wok. Stir-fry for 3 to
4 minutes or until tender and no longer pink. Push chicken from
center of wok. Stir sauce; add to center of wok. Cook and stir
until thickened and bubbly. Return apple mixture to wok. Stir
all ingredients together to coat. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes
more or until heated through.
- Stir in toasted almonds. Serve immediately
with hot cooked rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.