Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
A delicious chicken, cheese and broccoli casserole your family will ask for again and again.
1/2 cup butter or margarine - divided use
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (16-ounce) package fresh broccoli florets
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add chicken, and sauté until done. Remove chicken from skillet, and set aside.
- Cook broccoli in a steamer basket over boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat; drain well, and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in Swiss cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and salt.
- Layer half of chicken, broccoli, and cheese sauce in a lightly greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Repeat layer once. Cover and chill casserole up to 8 hours, if desired; remove from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, covered, at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, if desired, and bake 5 more minutes.
Makes 4 servings.