Chicken Enchilada Casserole
A little work goes into making this tasty enchilada casserole, but it's worth it, and far easier than filling and rolling each enchilada!
2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons minced jalapeño pepper
2 to 3 cups cooked diced chicken or turkey
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh tomato for accompaniment
Sour cream for accompaniment
- Sauté mushrooms, onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper until tender. Remove skillet from heat; stir in chicken and green chiles. Set aside.
- Combine butter and flour in a small saucepan. Gradually stir in water; cook over medium heat, stirring until thick and bubbly. Stir in chili powder, salt, cumin, and pepper. Add to chicken mixture and set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and then in foil. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10 minutes.
- Arrange half of the tortillas in a 12 x 8 x 2-inch dish. Top with half of chicken mixture. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Cover and bake for 25 minutes, uncover and sprinkle with cheese; bake for 10 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream.
Makes 4 servings.