Chicken Gumbo Pie with Buttermilk Biscuit Crust
A old-fashioned chicken pot pie takes on a spicy Cajun gumbo attitude with andouille sausage and classic seasonings.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
6 cloves garlic, mashed
1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
4 cups cooked chicken cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound andouille or Polish sausage cut into 1/2-inch rounds
6 cups chicken stock
Buttermilk Biscuit Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the flour is the color of light caramels. This should take about 5 minutes. Add the onion, pepper, celery, garlic, and Creole seasoning, stirring and cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and sausage and cook for 3 minutes. Gradually add the chicken stock to the pot, whisking until the sauce is thickened. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered for 30 minutes. Transfer the filling to a baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- For Buttermilk Biscuit Crust: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening, and stir in the buttermilk until the dough begins to form. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and roll it out 1/2-inch thick. Cut out individual biscuits and lay them on top of the gumbo. Brush the biscuits with the melted butter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden.
Makes 8 servings.