Chicken Gumbo Pot Pies
Louisiana comfort in a pot pie topped with a flaky puff pastry crust.
1 (2 1/2-pound) whole chicken
2 quarts water
1 onion, quartered
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 pound fresh or frozen okra, cut into 3/4-inch slices
1 (10-ounce) can whole tomatoes and green chilies
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 pound unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
1/2 (17.25-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender.
- Remove chicken, reserving 3/4 cup broth; discard onion and bay leaves. Cool. Skin, bone, and coarsely chop chicken; set aside.
- Whisk together all-purpose flour and vegetable oil in Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 15 to 20 minutes or until roux is caramel colored. Stir in chopped bell pepper, onion, and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add sliced okra, tomatoes and chilies, dried thyme, and reserved 3/4 cup chicken broth. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Add shrimp and 2 cups chopped chicken to gumbo; cook 8 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Roll out pastry sheet on a floured surface; cut into 4 (5-inch) squares. Return pastry to freezer for at least 15 minutes. Cut out decorative shapes from excess pastry strips.
- Ladle gumbo into 4 oven-proof soup bowls, filling three-fourths full. Place 1 pastry square over each bowl, pressing firmly to sides to seal edges. Place decorative shapes on top of pastry. Brush pastry with egg.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Serve pot pies with hot sauce, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.