Inspired by the classic dish, tender chunks of chicken breast are enrobed in a buttery sour cream sauce and served over hot cooked noodles or rice.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
8 ounces fresh baby portobello or button mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth*
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
1 (16-ounce) container sour cream (2 cups)**
Cooked egg noodles or long grain rice for accompaniment
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry with paper towels. Trim fat and cut into slices that are approximately 1/4-inch thick and 1 1/2 to 2-inches in length.
- Coat a large skillet well with cooking spray and heat until hot over medium-high heat; add chicken slices, season with salt and pepper as desired, and cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and place in a bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in same skillet; add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and paprika (if using dried parsley add it now). Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced somewhat and is slightly thickened.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet.
- Stir in the sour cream and heat just until hot; do not allow sauce to boil at this point or it may curdle. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh parsley.
- To serve, ladle sauce over hot buttered noodles or rice.
Makes 6 servings.
*Use canned broth or dissolve 2 teaspoons chicken base or bouillon granules in 2 cups of water. I prefer and use Redi-Base brand soup bases available at www.redibase.com.
**Low-fat sour cream can be used.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving (1/6 of recipe without noodles or rice): 359.7 calories; 62% calories from fat; 25.4g total fat; 99.7mg cholesterol; 799.1mg sodium; 547.5mg potassium; 9.3g carbohydrates; 0.9g fiber; 1.6g sugar; 8.4g net carbs; 24.0g protein.