No, this is not actual 'chicken tandoori', but it is a tasty rendition of the classic dish. Tandoori refers to a unique type of oven that is used to roast the chicken.
1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
1 cup plain yogurt
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon paprika
- Skin chicken if desired. Prick flesh with fork and place in a deep bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, vinegar, salt, lemon juice and paprika and pour over chicken pieces. (Make sure they are completely covered.)
- Cover the bowl and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place chicken pieces on a wire rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour in center of the oven.
Makes 4 servings.