Chicken with Fennel
An aromatic spiced cream sauce with sliced fennel, shredded carrots and tender slices of chicken breast served over couscous or rice.
Seasoning Mix: - divided use
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon celery seed, crushed
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
Chicken and Fennel:
2 fennel bulbs
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
4 large carrots, coarsely shredded
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half (light cream)
1 tablespoon anise liqueur (optional)
Couscous with Butter and Parsley or hot cooked jasmine or other long-grained rice for accompaniment
- For Seasoning Mix: Combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- For Chicken and Fennel: Trim bases from fennel bulbs; cut bulbs into thin strips, reserving fronds for garnish, if desired.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Seasoning Mix evenly over chicken.
- Sauté chicken in 1 tablespoon hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Cut each breast into slices; set aside and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and sauté fennel, onion, and carrot over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until fennel begins to soften.
- Stir in chicken broth and remaining Seasoning Mix; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 8 minutes.
- Stir in half-and-half and, if desired, liqueur. Return chicken to pan; and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over the couscous or rice, as desired.
Makes 6 servings.