Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Asian-style fried chicken chunks and walnut
halves in a ginger plum sauce.
Chicken with Walnuts
in Plum Sauce
- Boiling water
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 chicken thighs, boned, skinned and cut
into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce* or hoisin sauce*
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil*
- 2 green onions, finely chopped for garnish
- Pour boiling water over walnuts and let
stand 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Combine egg with 1 tablespoon vegetable
oil and cornstarch in small bowl. Add chicken pieces and toss
gently to coat evenly.
- Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in wok over
medium-high heat until haze forms. Add walnuts and fry until
golden, about 45 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon and drain
on paper towels. Add chicken to wok and cook until golden, about
3 minutes. Drain.
- Pour off all but thin film of oil. Return
pan to heat, add plum or hoisin sauce, ginger, sugar, soy sauce
and sesame oil and stir until combined. Reduce heat and simmer,
stirring constantly, until sauce begins to glisten, about 1 to
2 minutes. Add chicken and walnuts and mix thoroughly with sauce.
Transfer to heated serving platter and garnish with green onions.
*Available in Asian specialty markets and
most major grocery stores.
Makes 4 servings.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.