Chicken 'N Broccoli with Plum-Sherry Sauce
This savory stir-fry dish features chicken, broccoli, mushrooms and crunchy water chestnuts topped with a drizzle of sweet plum sherry sauce and garnished with toasted sesame seeds.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless broiler-fryer chicken breast halves, cut into thin strips
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 cup low sodium chicken broth, warmed - divided use
1/4 cup sliced green onion
2/3 cup diagonally sliced celery
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup red plum jam
2 tablespoons sherry
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Cooked rice for accompaniment
- In large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium temperature. Add chicken strips and stir fry about 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli, stirring and cooking 2 minutes more.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth and then stir in onion and celery, cooking 2 minutes more.
- Add mushrooms and 2 tablespoons more chicken broth, cooking 2 minutes.
- Add water chestnuts, salt and pepper, stirring and cooking 1 minute.
- In small bowl, stir together cornstarch and soy sauce until smooth. Add remaining 3/4 cup broth to chicken and vegetables, pushing them to side of pan. Slowly stir soy mixture into broth until it thickens; then stir everything in pan together.
- In small bowl, mix plum jam and sherry; heat (on stovetop or microwave) just until jam melts.
- Place chicken mixture in shallow serving bowl; drizzle plum-sherry sauce over all and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.