Chicken and Kashi Casserole
Kashi is labeled as a breakfast pilaf and is often found with the hot breakfast cereals in the grocery store. But it is a wonderful whole grain side dish for any meal. You'll love the chewy texture in this pilaf and the spices that are reminiscent of stuffing.
1/2 medium onion, diced
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 teaspoons chicken flavor base
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 (6.5-ounce) package kashi
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 chicken breasts, bone in, skin removed
Mrs. Dash seasoning
Salt as desired
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- To a 3-quart or larger covered casserole or dutch oven, add vegetables, chicken base, and hot water. Mix well.
- Add Kashi and poultry seasoning and stir.
- Arrange chicken breasts on top, bone-side down. Sprinkle chicken with Mrs. Dash and salt as desired.
- Cover, and bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 17 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 19 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 167 calories
Copyright © 2007 by Cheryle Hart and Mary Kay Grossman.
Recipe Source: An excerpt from the book Feel-Good Diet by Cheryle Hart, M.D., and Mary Kay Grossman, RD; Published by McGraw-Hill; January 2007;$22.95US/$27.95CAN; 978-0-07-145378-3 Copyright © 2007 by Cheryle Hart and Mary Kay Grossman.