Chicken and Mango in a Warm Coconut Sauce
A different and delightful way to enjoy the tropical flavor of mango. If desired, cubes of pre-roasted squash or pumpkin can be used in place of the mango.
This Heart-Smart, Diabetic-Friendly recipe was created by Patricia Chuey, RD.
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or crushed red chili flakes
4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cubed
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
1 (14-ounce) can diced, unsalted tomatoes
1 cup mango chunks, fresh or frozen, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large zip seal bag, combine flour, paprika, pumpkin pie spice and cayenne pepper or red chili flakes. Shake to mix well. Add chicken, about Â¼ at a time and shake to coat.
- In a large oven-safe saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add onions and cook for about 3 minutes or until just softened. Add coconut milk, tomatoes, mango and return chicken to oven-safe saucepan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Serve on its own or with steamed rice.
Makes 6 (1 cup) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe; 1 cup): Calories 180; Total Fat 9g; Saturated Fat 3.5g; Cholesterol 30mg; Sodium 45mg; Potassium 150mg; Carbohydrates 13g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 8g; Protein 13g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.