Chicken Gorgonzola Roulades
Sautéed chicken rolls filled with fresh basil and Gorgonzola cheese, served with a spicy roasted red pepper sauce.
2 tablespoons pine nuts
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
16 large basil leaves
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
Spicy Red Pepper Sauce (recipe follows)
Basil leaves for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, toast pine nuts, shaking pan occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Between two sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper, gently pound chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 4 basil leaves over each piece of chicken, covering entirely. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese over basil.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of the pine nuts over each chicken breast half. Tightly roll breasts, starting with short end; secure with wooden picks.
- To same skillet, add olive oil. Add chicken and sauté, turning frequently, about 10 minutes or until brown on all sides. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes, or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Remove chicken to cutting board and let rest about 10 minutes.
- Spoon Spicy Red Pepper Sauce evenly on 4 individual serving plates. Slice each chicken roll into 1/2-inch slices and arrange, overlapping slices slightly, on top of sauce. Garnish with basil leaves.
Makes 4 servings.
Spicy Red Pepper Sauce: In blender container, place 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers (drained), 1/2 cup tomato purée, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Pour into medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.