Chicken Rollover Delight
These delightful breaded chicken spirals are filled with colorful mixture of spinach and feta cheese, and served with a lemon and white wine caper sauce. A wonderful dish for entertaining.
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt - divided use
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 pound fresh spinach, chopped
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup dry white wine
Juice if 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon capers
- Place chicken between two pieces of wax paper and gently pound until almost double in size. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.
- In large skillet, place 2 tablespoons oil and heat to medium temperature. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add spinach and sauté until barely wilted; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Remove mixture from skillet, drain, cool and divide into 8 parts.
- On each chicken breast, place 1 part of spinach mixture; sprinkle equal amounts of feta cheese evenly over chicken, roll up and fasten with toothpicks.
- In medium bowl, mix eggs and milk. In separate shallow bowl, place bread crumbs. Add chicken, first in egg mixture and then in bread crumbs, dredging to coat.
- In same skillet, place 3 tablespoons oil and heat to medium temperature. Add chicken and cook until brown. Remove chicken to pan with cover and bake in 350°F (175°C) oven about 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted with ease.
- To make sauce, drain most of oil from skillet, leaving brown bits on bottom of pan; add butter and melt over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté about 2 minutes. Add flour, stirring to blend and thicken. Add chicken broth, wine, lemon juice and capers. Cook about 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Place chicken rolls on serving dish and pour sauce over rolls.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.