A hearty casserole made with cooked chicken and linguine pasta in a flavorful basil cream sauce with mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes.
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (meat from one 3 1/2-pound chicken)
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup no-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces linguine or spaghetti pasta, cooked according to package directions
1/2 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic, sautéing until translucent, about 4 minutes. Increase heat to high and stir in mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms are tender and any liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Lower heat to medium and stir in flour. Gradually stir in white wine and chicken broth. Bring to simmer and stir in heavy cream. Reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer for 1 minute. Stir in basil and sun-dried tomatoes, season with salt and pepper.
- Mix half the sauce with the linguine. Mix remaining sauce with chicken.
- Grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish; place pasta in dish making a hole in the center. Place chicken in hole; sprinkle casserole with cheese.
- Bake until brown on top and hot throughout, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.