Chicken with Almonds
This terrific recipe for Chicken with Almonds was submitted by Mrs. James Russo, New York City, NY.
1 chicken, 2 1/2 to 3 pounds
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons shredded almonds
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dry tarragon
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon grated cheese
1 tomato, skinned (optional)
- Brown chicken in hot butter; remove chicken. Add garlic and onion to butter; cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in tomato paste and flour until smooth. Add chicken stock a little at a time, stirring until smooth. Then blend in sherry, and stir over low heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the browned chicken, almonds, salt, pepper and tarragon. Cover and cook slowly for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and arrange chicken in a shallow casserole.
- Stir sour cream into liquid in which the chicken was cooked. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with skinned tomato and brown under broiler.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.