Chicken with Wild Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Capers
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council.
6 chicken cutlets (chicken breasts sliced thin)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 ounces mixed mushrooms (chanterelle, baby bella, shiitake), about 6 cups chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced - divided use
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 cup dry white wine
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon capers
4 tablespoons chopped basil - divided use
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
1 cup grits
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large sauté pan, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Add chicken and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes per side until browned. Remove from pan to plate and reserve.
- Add chopped mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally. After about 2 minutes, add garlic and shallots. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Add wine to pan, bring to a boil and reduce until almost gone, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice; continue to boil until slightly reduced, another 3 to 4 minutes. Add capers, 2 tablespoons basil and rosemary. Turn heat to low.
- Make the grits by bringing the broth, cream, water, garlic, and butter to a boil. Slowly whisk the grits into the liquid. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes or until grits are thickened. Turn heat to low and stir occasionally while finishing chicken.
- Add chicken and any accumulated juice back to pan with mushroom tomato sauce. Turn heat to medium and cook chicken for about 5 minutes until chicken is heated through.
- To Serve: Divide grits into soup bowls, place two pieces of chicken on top of each bowl, spoon mushroom tomato sauce on top. Garnish servings with additional 2 tablespoons basil and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 510; Total Fat: 24g; Saturated Fat: 11g; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 32g; Sodium: 480mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.