Deep South Ovenly Chicken
This terrific recipe for Deep South Ovenly Chicken by Mrs. Harold Herbert of Gnadenhutten, Ohio.
4 tablespoons butter or margarine (1/2 stick)
1 cup buttermilk baking mix
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk (2/3 cup)
1 (3-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
Parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
- About 1 1/4 hours before serving: In large open roasting pan in 400°F (205°C) oven, melt butter or margarine.
- Meanwhile, on waxed paper, combine baking mix, chopped pecans, paprika, salt and poultry seasoning.
- Into pie plate, pour evaporated milk. Dip chicken pieces in milk, then coat well with baking mix mixture. Place chicken pieces skin-side down, in roasting pan.
- Bake chicken for 30 minutes. With pancake turner, carefully turn chicken pieces. Bake 20 minutes longer or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork, covering with foil after 10 minutes if chicken begins to brown too quickly.
- Arrange chicken on platter. Garnish with parsley sprigs, desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.