Do Ahead Ground Chicken Lasagna
Make this cheesy chicken lasagna the night before, and all you have to do is pop it in the oven when you're ready. A great dish for casual entertaining.
1 pound ground chicken
1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley - divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons salt - divided use
1 teaspoon basil
6 ounces lasagna noodles
1 (16-ounce) carton low fat, small curd cottage cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 ounces skim milk mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat skillet over medium high temperature. Add ground chicken and brown, stirring, about 6 minutes.
- Pour tomatoes, tomato paste, 1/2 tablespoon of the parsley into a blender or food processor; process about 1 minute. Stir tomato mixture into ground chicken and simmer over low temperature about 20 minutes.
- In medium bowl, mix together remaining 1 tablespoon parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, cottage cheese, egg and pepper.
- In bottom of 2-quart shallow baking dish, spoon a little of ground chicken mixture. Then layer noodles (uncooked), cottage cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and ground chicken mixture. Cover and let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.