Dried Cranberry Compote Chicken
This terrific recipe for Dried Cranberry Compote Chicken was submitted by Colette Jaworski of Buford, Georgia.
4 chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup unpeeled, chopped tart apple
1/4 cup cranberry juice
3 tablespoons apple juice
1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon allspice
Fresh sage for garnish (optional)
Lady apples for garnish (optional)
- In large shallow dish, place chicken.
- In small bowl, mix together lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Refrigerate while preparing cranberry compote.
- In a small bowl, place cranberries. Cover with boiling water and let steep 15 minutes.
- In skillet, place 2 tablespoons of the butter and melt over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; sauté about 10 minutes or until limp. Reduce heat to medium temperature.
- Drain cranberries. Add cranberries and chopped apple to celery-onion mixture. Stir in cranberry juice and apple juice. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until liquid is syrupy. Add coriander and allspice. Set aside and keep warm.
- Remove chicken from marinade and drain.
- In large skillet, place remaining 2 tablespoons butter and sauté about 5 minutes or until light brown. Turn, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook about 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Place chicken on serving platter and top with cranberry compote. Garnish with fresh sage and Lady apples, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.