Fruity Baked Chicken
A fresh ginger and citrus-flavored chicken and rice casserole with dried fruit.
2 (6.2-ounce) packages long-grain and wild rice mix
2 teaspoons salt - divided use
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
8 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 (6-ounce) package chopped mixed dried fruit
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon chili-garlic paste
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions, omitting seasoning packets; add 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Combine flour, pepper, paprika, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- Cook chicken in hot oil in a skillet over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Add onion to skillet; sauté over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in fruit and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Stir into fruit mixture; cook 1 minute.
- Spoon rice into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Place chicken over rice. Spoon fruit mixture over chicken.
- Bake, covered, at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.