Ginger Chicken and Carrots
Baked chicken breasts served with a crystallized ginger sauce with sliced carrots and bits of sweet red bell pepper.
6 carrots, scraped, cut in 1/4-inch slices
4 chicken breast halves, skinned
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons grated crystallized ginger
2 tablespoons butter
- In 2-quart greased casserole, place carrots. Top with chicken breasts and sprinkle with chopped red bell pepper.
- In small bowl, mix together lemon juice, salt and ground ginger; pour over chicken.
- In small saucepan, place grated crystallized ginger and butter. Place over medium high temperature and cook, stirring, until melted*. Pour over chicken.
- Cover casserole and place in 350°F (175°C) oven. Bake about 1 hour or until carrots are tender and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- To serve, spoon carrots and sauce over chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
*This may be done in microwave on HIGH, covered, for 1 1/2 minutes.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.