Grecian Chicken Pilaf
Aromatic spices contribute rich flavor to this Greek-style chicken and rice skillet supper.
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine
8 chicken thighs, skinned
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 cups warm low sodium chicken broth
6 whole cloves
1 cup rice
- In small bowl, dissolve tomato paste in wine.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In Dutch oven, place olive oil and butter and heat over medium temperature. Add chicken and cook about 7 minutes until brown on all sides. Remove chicken to platter.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; cook about 5 minutes, until tender and translucent. Add cinnamon and allspice. Stir wine mixture into pan; add broth, stirring until smooth. Return chicken to pan in single layer; add cloves, cover and simmer on low about 15 minutes.
- Stir in rice, submerging completely in liquid. Cover, cook about 15 minutes and stir. Cook about 10 minutes more until rice is done and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Remove cloves.
- To serve, place a small dollop of yogurt on each piece of chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.